Evangelia (Lilian) Tsourdi
Lilian Tsourdi holds an undergraduate degree in Law (Law Faculty-University of Athens), an LLM in Public International Law (Law Faculty-University of Athens) as well as an LLM in International Human Rights Law (Law Faculty-University of Essex). Since October 2010 she is undertaking a PhD at the Law Faculty and the Institute for European Studies of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) where she is a member of the coordination team of the Academic network for legal studies on immigration and asylum in Europe, the ‘Odysseus Network’. Moreover, since September 2013, she is a research assistant (50%) at the ULB as well as a research assistant (40%) at the Centre Charles De Visscher pour le droit international et européen (CeDIE) of the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL).
I. Research activities
Lilian is preparing a thesis focusing on the European asylum policy. Her research seeks to define the notion of a “Common European Asylum System” and to critically assess the development of its components.
Lilian is a research assistant (50%) at the ULB in the framework of a project, focusing on alternatives to detention, co-financed by the European Commission and coordinated by the Odysseus Network (Made Real Project/EU, ERF). She is also a research assistant (40%) at the ‘Centre Charles De Visscher’ for international and European law (CeDIE) at the l’Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) in the framework of a project co-financed by the European Refugee Fund (Équipe droits européens et migrations [EDEM], FER). EDEM studies the implementation of European asylum law at national level in Belgium. Lilian’s research is focused on the implementation of the “reception conditions” directive.
She is a member of the coordination team of the Academic network for legal studies on immigration and asylum in Europe, the ‘Odysseus Network’ and a Doctoral Affiliate of the Refugee Law Initiative (School of Advanced Study, University of London).
- E. Tsourdi (with M. Peek), ‘Directive 2013/33/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 laying down standards for the reception of applicants for international protection’, in K. Hailbronner, & D. Thym, EU Immigration and Asylum Law Commentary, Beck/Hart Publishing (forthcoming 2015)
- E.Tsourdi, ‘Report on Reception Conditions: A dignified standard of living for asylum seekers?’, in P. De Bruycker, V. Chetail & F. Maiani (eds.), Towards a Common European Asylum System: The added value of the legislative package of Second Generation, Boston/Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff (forthcoming 2015)
- E. Tsourdi (ed.), (with J.P. Gaucci & M.Giuffré), Exploring the boundaries of refugee law: current protection challenges, Brill/Martinus Nijhoff (forthcoming 2015)
- E. Tsourdi, ‘What protection for persons fleeing indiscriminate violence? The Impact of the European Courts on the EU Subsidiary Protection Regime’ in J.-F. Durieux & D. Cantor (eds.), Refuge from Inhumanity: Enriching Refugee Protection Standards through Recourse to Humanitarian Law, Brill/Martinus Nijhoff, 2014, pp. pp. 270-294
- E. Tsourdi (with L. Leboeuf), ‘Towards a Re-Definition of Persecution? Assessing the Potential Impact of Y and Z’, 13(2) Human Rights Law Review, 2013, pp. 402-415
- E., Tsourdi, ‘Sexual orientation and gender identity: developments in EU law’, 42 Forced Migration Review, 2013, pp. 21-22
- E. Tsourdi, ‘What Role for the Court of Justice of the EU in the Development of a European Asylum Policy? The Case of Loss and Denial of International Protection in the EU’, 2/3, Tijdschrift voor Bestuurswetenschappen en Publiekrecht, 2013, pp. 212-228
- E. Tsourdi (with P. McDonough), ‘The “Other” Greek Crisis: Asylum And EU Solidarity’, Refugee Survey Quarterly, Vol. 31, Issue 4, 2012, pp. 67-100
- E. Tsourdi, ‘Εqual before the law? The case of asylum procedures and detention of asylum seekers in Greece’, in S. Morano-Foadi & M. Malena, (eds.), Integration for Third-country Nationals in the European Union: The Equality Challenge, Edward Elgar Publishing LTD, 2012, pp. 124-144
- E. Tsourdi, ‘What role for the EU as an international protection actor? Assessing the external dimension of the European asylum policy’, in M. Dony (ed.), La dimension externe de l’espace de liberté, de sécurité et de justice au lendemain de Lisbonne et de Stockholm : un bilan à mi-parcours, Ed. de l’Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2012, pp. 147-160
- E. Tsourdi (with P. McDonough), Putting solidarity to the test: assessing the European response to Greece’s asylum crisis, Research Paper No.231-New Issues in Refugee Research series de l’HCR, janvier 2012
III. Professional activities
Lilian has worked as research consultant for a number of non-governmental organizations (ECRE, CCME, ICMC, ILGA-Europe). During 6 months she was responsible for the follow-up of several legal files as legal advisor to a Member of the European Parliament. Lilian was called to the Athens Bar in 2008 and is presently admitted to practice before all Greek First Instance Courts.
Evangelia (Lilian) Tsourdi
Faculté de droit & Institut d’Etudes Européennes
Tel. 00 32 (0)2 650 38 90, firstname.lastname@example.org
CP. 172, Avenue F.D. Roosevelt 39, 1050 Bruxelles