The PHOENIX Project (with financial support granted by the European Commission through the Erasmus Mundus Programme) grants scholarships to students and staff members from Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon to undertake a mobility period, or full degree, in one of the partner Universities in Europe. Europeans from these partner institutions will also be able to apply for the scholarship and study in the Middle East. Scholarships are available for undergraduate, master, phD students and also for staff members (academic and administrative) and include a monthly allowance, travel, insurance and participation costs.
The PHOENIX project intends to develop a structured mobility-based cooperation between 3 Palestinian, 2 Lebanese, 1 Syrian and 2 Jordanian HEIs on the one side and 9 EU HEIs from the second side. This cooperation network aims at supporting students from all levels (undergraduate, Master and PhD) academic staff, researchers and administrative staff to gain experiences, expertise and skills through interaction in an international environment.
Among this initiative’s main goals, the following can be pointed out:
• To set up an institutional-based sustainable Europe- Palestine- Lebanon- Syria- Jordan mobility network focusing on regional prioritized needs.
• To support a pool of 150 well-educated and responsible young men and women to study and get training in the identified specific thematic fields.
• To enhance partner HEIs capacity of conducting joint community-oriented quality research.
• To raise staff’s competencies for better university governance, a common priority by all lot2 participating Universities.
• To foster using technologies for academic and governance purposes.
• To develop sustainable academic and research network for future cooperation among the project partners.
- University of Almería (Spain)
- University of Seville (Spain)
- Université Pierre et Marie Curie (France)
- Universidade do Porto (Portugal)
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
- Università degli Studi dell'Aquila (Italy)
- Tampereen yliopisto/University of Tampree (Finland)
- Politechnika Wroclawska/Wroclaw University of Technology (Poland)
- Carl von Ossietzky Universtät Oldenburg (Germany)
MIDDLE EAST PARTNERS
- The Islamic University of Gaza (Occupied Palestinian Territory)
- Princess Sumaya University for Technology (Jordan)
- Arab International Universtiy (Syrian Arab Republic)
- Lebanese American University (Lebanon)
- An Najah National University (Occupied Palestinian Territory)
- Petra University (Jordan)
- Birzeit Universtiy (Occupied Palestinian Territory)
- Modern University for Business and Science (Lebanon)
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Occupied Territories (UNRWA)
- Fiedrich Ebert Stiftung
- Ministry of Higher Education- Palestine
- World University Service of the Mediterranean (WUSMED)
- Mediterranean Universities Union (UNIMED)